www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150 Years of European SettlementPrint Page Print this page

07-March-2021
07-March-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The time capsule commemorates 150 years of European settlement in Strathalbyn.

The town was founded in 1839, the first landholders being Dr. Rankine, followed by Donald McLean. In 1846 the cadastral division, the Hundred of Strathalbyn, was proclaimed including the township of Strathalbyn at the south-western corner of the division.

The streets were laid out in a broad and liberal manner, with a large area reserved on either side of the River Angas for recreation purposes, plus a site for a Presbyterian Church and cemetery.The community was soon the centre for a large pastoral and farming population, many of Scottish origin. Mining later became important in the area.

The District Council of Strathalbyn was established in 1854. In 1868 a municipal council, the Corporation of Strathalbyn, was formed by secession of section 2600 of the Hundred of Strathalbyn from the district council. The town and district councils later re-amalgamated in 1976.

 

Location

Address:Rankine Street, Strathalbyn, 5255
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.257534
Long: 138.891234
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Time Capsule
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1839
Approx. Event End Date:1989

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 21st May, 1989
Front Inscription

DISTRICT COUNCIL OF STRATHALBYN
This Time Capsule Was Laid
On The 21st May 1989 To
Commemorate 150 Years Of 
European Settlement In Strathalbyn.
To Be Opened In May 2039

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design