150 Years of Pioneer SettlementPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates 150 years of pioneer settlement in the Woodstock area.

Edward J. Peake purchased Section 1788, Hundred of Strathalbyn in 1841 on behalf of William Leigh of 'Woodchester Park', Gloucestershire, England; it was subdivided in 1856.The settlement was originally known as "Tin Pot". It formerly had a hotel, the Tin Pot Inn, which served as a stopping point for travellers; it closed in 1867, and some ruins of the building survive today. The area also benefited from the successful Wheal Ellen mine, located in adjacent Highland Valley. Tinpot Post Office opened on 25 November 1857, was renamed Woodchester Post Office on 29 October 1858, and was closed on 31 March 1973. A school opened in 1877, but has long since closed. 


Address:Callington Road, Near Tennis Courts, Woodchester, 5255
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.203882
Long: 138.967716
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1842
Approx. Event End Date:1992


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:April-1992
Front Inscription

To commemorate 150 years of pioneer settlement in the (Tin Pot) Woodchester area

April 1992

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design