www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of South AustraliaPrint Page Print this page

10-February-2021
10-February-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The "Fulfilment Stone" commemorates the centenary of European settlement of South Australia from 1836 to 1936. The other foundation stone "The Promise" has a quotation from Edward Gibbon Wakefield regarding self - government which was granted to South Australia in 1857. The foundation stones were laid for the additions to Parliament House. 

The British Province of South Australia was established by the South Australia Act 1834 in August 1834, and the South Australian Company formed on 9 October 1835 to fulfil the purposes of the Act by forming a new colony financed by land sales. The first settlers arrived on Kangaroo Island in July 1836, with all of the ships later sailing north soon afterwards to anchor in Holdfast Bay on the advice of Surveyor-General, Colonel William Light. 

Adelaide, Nov. 24. Two foundation stones for the additions to Parliament House will be unveiled by the Governor, Sir Winston Dugan, at noon on December 23. The stones, which will be of Kapunda marble, and which will be placed one on each side of the entrance stone on the left, will bear at the top the words, "The Promise," and underneath the following quotation by Edward Gibbon Wakefield in 1831: "His Majesty's subjects of South Australia are to receive the constitution of self government as soon as the colony shall "be in a fit state to enjoy that in estimable advantage." The inscription on the stone on the right of the entrance will be headed "The Fulfilment," and will read: "This House of Parliament was completed as an expression of faith in Parliamentary institutions, and appreciation of the benefits wrought by 80 years of self government, and in commemoration of the centenary of the State." The idea of the two stones and inscriptions is that of the Premier, Mr. Butler.
Western Argus (Kalgoorlie, WA ), 1 December 1936.

 

Location

Address:North Terrace & King William Road, Parliament House, Adelaide, 5000
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.921328
Long: 138.598781
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1836
Approx. Event End Date:1936

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 23rd December, 1936
Front Inscription

The Fulfilment

This House of Parliament was completed as an expression of faith in the Parliamentary Institutions.

In appreciation of the benefits wrought by eighty years of self government and in commemoration of the centenary of the State.

Unveiled by His Excellency the Governor Major General Sir Winston Dugan K. C. M. G., C. B., D. S. O.

23rd December 1936

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design