www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Yunta Centenary ParkPrint Page Print this page

29-March-2021
29-March-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren
The park commemorates the centenary of Yunta from 1887 to 1987.

Yanta was an early spelling. In 1866 the district was known as part of the Tattawappa and Yanta Run. Yunta township was established in 1887 after the discovery of gold at the nearby diggings at Teetulpa and Waukaringa, when more than 5,000 miners made their way through here. In the early 1890s the village was a busy railway town on the Adelaide to Broken Hill line. From 1934 Yunta was the base for the famed outback trucking and mail contractor Harry Ding.

Location

Address:Barrier Highway, Centenary Park, Yunta, 5440
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.581841
Long: 139.562313
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Actual Event Start Date:13-January-1887
Actual Event End Date:13-January-1987

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 3rd May, 1987
Front Inscription

YUNTA

CENTENARY PARK

1887 - 1987

Plaque :

YUNTA TOWNSHIP
Proclaimed 13th January 1877

To Commemorate
THE YUNTA CENTENARY 
This Plaque Was Unveiled By
VIC BREEDING II
On 3rd May 1987

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design