www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of South AustraliaPrint Page Print this page

12-December-2020
12-December-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The oval commemorates the centenary of European settlement of South Australia from 1836 to 1936. The Stirling Centenary Committee developed the oval and built the oval steps, assisted by a volunteer effort from the local community.

The British Province of South Australia was established by the South Australia Act 1834 in August 1834, and the South Australian Company formed on 9 October 1835 to fulfil the purposes of the Act by forming a new colony financed by land sales. The first settlers arrived on Kangaroo Island in July 1836, with all of the ships later sailing north soon afterwards to anchor in Holdfast Bay on the advice of Surveyor-General, Colonel William Light. 

Work on the Centenary oval scheme at Stirling is well advanced, according to a circular received from the secretary of the committee in charge of the scheme (Mr. S. Watson). All residents of the district have been invited to a working bee on Saturday afternoon to assist in the top dressing of the oval. Volunteer laborers have been at work every evening and on Saturday afternoons since the end of August, and the expenditure to date has been under £2. The residents hope to complete a sports and show ground on the site, which was given in trust to the Stirling District Council by Messrs. J. and A. G. Johnston, of Oakland. 
Advertiser (Adelaide), 8 November 1935. 

 

 

Location

Address:Mount Barker Road, Stirling Centenary Oval, Stirling, 5152
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.007625
Long: 138.718171
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1836
Approx. Event End Date:1936

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 22nd February, 1936
Approx. Monument Dedication Date:
Front Inscription

Plaque :

Opened
  By
Sir George Ritchie
Feb 22 1936
Stirling Oval

This Is A Replica Of The Plaque Below

Plaque :

OPENED
   BY
SIR GEORGE RITCHIE 
Feb 22 1936
Stirling Oval

 

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design