www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Kimba Pioneer MemorialPrint Page Print this page

23-November-2020
23-November-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren
The arch commemorates the courage and faith of the early pioneers of the Kimba District.

The area was first settled in the 1870s by lease-holding pastoralists who moved north up the Eyre Peninsula during the 1870s and 1880s. They lightly stocked the land and relied on the limited water supplies and intermittent open grass lands to raise their stock. It was more intensively settled for wheat farming from 1908, when overseas demand for wheat increased in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The large tracts of mallee scrub began to be cleared to facilitate this, and soon regular mail services were established from the port at Cowell. Bags of wheat had to be loaded onto bullock drays which carried the produce to Cowell 76 km south.

In 1913, Kimba was connected by narrow gaugwe railway to Port Lincoln. This development encouraged a number of new wheat farmers to move into the area. Two years later the township of Kimba was officially proclaimed and service industries began to move into the district.

Location

Address:Buckleboo Road, Kimba Recreation Reserve, Kimba, 5641
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.134781
Long: 136.415121
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 19th August, 1961
Front Inscription

KIMBA PIONEER MEMORIAL

Plaque :

KIMBA RECREATION RESERVE
PIONEERS` MEMORIAL ENTRANCE

To Commemorate The Courage And
Faith Of The Early Pioneers Of The
Kimba District This Memorial Entrance
     was opened by
E. J. Haskett Esq. J. P.
          on
19th August 1961

"Through their perserverance we prosper."

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design