www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Lyndoch Pioneer TreesPrint Page Print this page

10-November-2020
10-November-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The trees mark the site of the dairy and stockyards of Dr. John Browne who was the first European settler in the District.

Mr. Chas. Fergusson, as District Clerk of the Barossa District Council, is determined that insofar as the power lies in his hands, the pioneer gums in Lyndoch will be carefully preserved and their surroundings made as bright and pleasing as possible. Near the Reynella winery, on the Williamstown roads, are these fine trees. A notice posted on one, reads — "These trees mark the site of the dairy and stock yards of Dr. John Browne, the first settler in the district, about 1839. The land in which they stand was purchased by J. G. O. Tepper Esq. F.R.S., and placed by him in trust of the District Council of Barossa for their effective protection." 

According to State history, Lyndoch is one of the oldest towns in South Australia. The first settlements took place in 1839, when the S.A. Company surveyed a large area in the district, and in 1840 John Hallett leased four sections. The town derives its name from the valley, which was named "Lynedoch Valley" in 1831 by Colonel Light in honor of his friend and comrade, Lord Lyndoch, a prominent soldier of the Napoleonic wars. Prior to this ascension to the peerage Lord Lynedoch was named Grahame, and the name is perpetuated in the titling of a ward of the Council. 
Bunyip (Gawler, SA ), 31 January 1936.

Location

Address:Lyndoch Valley Road, Pioneer Reserve, Lyndoch, 5351
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.604226
Long: 138.891493
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Trees
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Front Inscription

Plaque :

Lyndoch Pioneer Trees

These trees mark the site of the dairy and stockyards of Dr. John Browne.

The first settler in the District about 1839.

The land on which they stand was purchased by J. G. O. Tepper, F. R.S. and placed by him in trust of the District Council of Barossa for their effective protection

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design