www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of StansburyPrint Page Print this page

15-October-2020
15-October-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the centenary of Stansbury from 1873 to 1973, and the pioneers of the District.

The town was originally known as Oyster Bay, although it was officially proclaimed Stansbury in 1873 by Governor Anthony Musgrave, in honour of a friend.

The Government Gazette, July 31.
TOWNSHIP OF STANSBURY. Order in Council setting apart lands in the Hundred of Dalrymple for the site of the Township of Stansbury; also, piece of land as a place for the recreation and amusement of the inhabitants, and a block of land for a Public Cemetery.
South Australian Register (Adelaide), 1 August 1873.

 

 

Location

Address:ANZAC Parade & Towler Street, Stansbury, 5582
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.909657
Long: 137.799228
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1873
Approx. Event End Date:1973

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 7th October, 1973
Front Inscription

          To Commemorate
THE CENTENARY OF STANSBURY
            1873 - 1973
        And To Honour
THE PIONEERS OF THIS DISTRICT

Unveiled on October 7th, 1973,
By Councillor G. B. Sherriff
Grandson Of The First Chairman
Of The District Council Of Dalrymple

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design