www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Jubilee 150Print Page Print this page

06-October-2020
06-October-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the 150 year State Jubilee from 1836 to 1986.

The British Province of South Australia was established by the South Australia Act 1834 in August 1834, and the South Australian Company formed on 9 October 1835 to fulfil the purposes of the Act by forming a new colony financed by land sales. The first settlers arrived on Kangaroo Island in July 1836, with all of the ships later sailing north soon afterwards to anchor in Holdfast Bay on the advice of Surveyor-General, Colonel William Light. The Proclamation of the new Province by Governor Hindmarsh at Glenelg took place on 28 December 1836.

Location

Address:B F Laurie Lane, Goolwa, 5241
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.502958
Long: 138.785187
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1836
Approx. Event End Date:1986

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1986
Front Inscription

Railway Stables
Established 1862

Originally used to stable horses after hauling trams on the Goolwa - Pt Elliot route

Purchased and preserved from 1946 by members of Goolwa Sub-Branch R.S.L. to serve as clubrooms

Erected to commemorate the State Jubilee 150 years - 1986

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design