www.monumentaustralia.org.au

100 Years of Progress & 50 Years of RailwaysPrint Page Print this page

10-March-2020
10-March-2020

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
The plaque which is located directly above the door of the Rankins Springs War Memorial Hall, commemorates 100 Years of Progress and 50 Years of Railways which was celebrated in 1973. 

In January 1923 a railway line was opened connecting Rankins Springs region with Barmedman, a station on the central western railway connecting Lake Cargelligo to Cootamundra.  The new railway line by-passed the site of the Rankins Springs Hotel and adjoining land (despite previous expectations that the line would go that way). The Rankins Springs station, where the branch line terminated, was built at a location 10 km (6 mi) to the south-west of the hotel.  The new branch line provided transport for the agricultural produce of the surrounding district as well as passenger services.

Location

Address:Mid Western Highway (Boomerang Street), Rankins Springs War Memorial Hall, Rankins Springs, 2669
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.841971
Long: 146.261597
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1873
Approx. Event End Date:1973

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1973
Front Inscription
            RANKINS SPRINGS
CELEBRATED 100 YEARS PROGRESS
& 50 YEARS RAILWAYS...28-9-1973

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design