www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Caswell & Halloran Families Print Page Print this page

07-September- 2019
07-September- 2019

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
The plaque commemorates the Caswell (1831) and Halloran (1931) families who shaped the Tilligerrry Peninsula. 
 
The first settler in the area was Lieutenant William Caswell who was granted 50 acres of land at Tanilba in 1831 in recognition of his military service in the Royal Navy.
 
Using convict labour, William Caswell laid the foundations of Tanilba House in 1837. It was built of quartz porphyry stone which was quarried nearby. The mortar came from the lime produced by burning oysters. Vineyeards, gardens and a dairy were estabishled on the estate. We previously visited the homestead on one of the days when it is open to the public. It is a fantastic place retaining its charm of yesteryear.
 
In 1920, Henry F Halloran, surveyor, real estate agent and property developer, purchased Tanilba Estate. He co-ordinated the building of a number of intriguing structures in local stone in the streets and parks of Tanilba Bay.

Location

Address:Admiralty Avenue , Pathway opposite Tanilba House, Tanilba Bay, 2319
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.721276
Long: 151.993029
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Front Inscription
In memory of
the early families who shaped 
the Tilligerry Peninsula 
CASWELL FAMILY (1831)
HALLORAN FAMILY ( 1931) 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design