www.monumentaustralia.org.au

50 Years Progress of GriffithPrint Page Print this page

16-November-2019
16-November-2019

Photographs supplied by Michael Kuilboer / Sandra Brown

The granite sculpture commemorates 50 years of the development of Griffith.  This sculpture has been erected near the site of the original monument which was erected in 1966. The information board originally located at the front of the sculpture has been relocated to one side.

 

Location

Address:Banna Avenue, Griffith, 2680
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.289001
Long: 146.054001
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1916
Approx. Event End Date:1966
Artist:Luke Zwolsman

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:October-2018
Front Inscription

Commemorating 50 Years Progress of Griffith

1916 - 1966

The former monument near this site recognising the first 50 years of Griffith`s development was unveiled by His Excellency Sir Roden Cutler V.C., AK, KCMG, KCVO, CBE Governor of New South Wales, on August 4th 1966 in the company of Mr. Lance Walker the President of the Rotary Club of Griffith.

The original monument erected by the Rotary Club of Griffith in 1966 celebrated the transformation of a dry and desolate region into a highly productive area.

The original construction of cement and mosaic tilework was damaged and been replaced by the granite sculpture.

Sir Roden Cutler (1916 - 2002) was the only artillery officer to be awarded the Victoria Cross in World War II whilst in combat against enemy forces in Syria in 1941.  Following a distinguished diplomatic career Sir Roden established a record tenure as the Governor of NSW from January 1966 to January 1981, a term of 15 years.

The Rotary Club of Griffith wishes to acknowledge the assistance of the Griffith City Council and the Griffith Ex-Servicemen`s Club for their support of the project.

Plaque :

This sculpture depicts the seed cone of the White Cypress Murray Pine (Callitris glaucophylla) which is widely distributed throughout this and other regions of N.S.W.

White Ant resistant, its timber was used for a variety of purposes by our early pioneers and is still extensively used. The seed cone of this tree is symbolic of the development of Griffith, a city now established in a semi-arid environment.
By the endeavor of its people it has grown into a strong and vibrant community.

Sculptor : Luke Zwolsman
                 October 2018

 

 

Inscription in Proximity
1916  1966
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design