Conservation of Vienna Cottage Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens
The plaque commemorates the conservation of Vienna Cottage as part of a gift to the nation to celebrate the bicentenary of Australia in 1988. 

Built in 1871, it was the home of John and Ann Hillman and their five children. They lived in what was a typical tradesman’s cottage, with four rooms in the main building and a detached kitchen and laundry at the back. John Jacob Hillman was a cobbler and later also a village lamplighter. The home was originally run as a dairy, and also produced fruit and vegetables from the small orchard beside the house, which to this day is preserved as a small park called Hillman Orchard. In 1984 the house was purchased by the National Trust on behalf of the people of Hunters Hill, while the old orchard was bought by Hunters Hill Council. Both were opened to the public in 1988 as part of the bicentenary project.


Address:Alexandra Street, Vienna Cottage , Hunters Hill , 2110
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.834804
Long: 151.154659
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 29th May, 1988
Front Inscription


This Plaque Commemorates The Conservation Of Vienna Cottage By The National Trust With The Support Of The NSW Bicentennial Council And The Sponsorship Of Amatil Limited As Part Of A Gift To The Nation

The Official Bicentennial Programme Of
The Australian Council Of National Trusts. 
        Unveiled By
The Hon David Hay M.P.  
Minister For Local Government
         And Planning
On Sunday 29 May, 1988. 

Max Kelly                        President  National Trust NSW
Rodney Davidson OBE   Chairman Australian Council of National Trust
Dean Wills AM                Chairman Amatil Limited

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design