Centenary of Three SpringsPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Erich Nussbaumer
A water feature erected in 2006 commemorates a centenary of settlement in the area. The feature replicates a flowing spring. 

The first Europeans to pass through the Three Springs area were Lieutenant George Grey and his party in 1839. The next exploration of the area in 1846 was undertaken by brothers Henry, Francis and Augustus Gregory. This was a government sponsored trip to seek out new ‘runs’ for stock.

During 1867, while surveyor Charles Cooke Hunt was undertaking a road survey, he recorded the words ‘Three Springs’ at the site of the current town after some nearby springs. The name began to appear on official maps from then on and land in this region was soon taken up for pastoral leasing.

When the Midland railway from Midland Junction to Walkaway was opened in 1895, Three Springs was a siding on the line, and the area really opened up.

In 1907 the government decided to declare a townsite adjacent to the Three Springs Station, and it was gazetted as Kadathinni in 1908.It was also intended to change the name of the station when the townsite was named, but this was overlooked, and it remained Three Springs. The townsite was also locally known as Three Springs, and in 1946 the name was officially changed to Three Springs to conform with local usage.


Address:Railway Road, Three Springs, 6519
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -29.535375
Long: 115.764506
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1906
Approx. Event End Date:2006


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 7th October, 2006
Front Inscription

Three Springs Centenary
1906 - 2006

This water feature was officially dedicated by Anthony Thomas and opened by Harry Morgan on 7th October 2006

In commemoration of the Centenary of Three Springs


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design