www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Bredbo VillagePrint Page Print this page

16-June-2016
16-June-2016

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The plaque commemorates the centenary of the settlement of Bredbo Village.

Located at the junction of the Bredbo and Murrumbidgee rivers, the Bredbo area was historically prone to flooding. As a way-point on the road from Sydney to the Snowy Mountains, travellers were frequently stranded by rising water. By 1839 the Bredbo Inn had been established to accommodate travellers. The Inn was a Cobb & Co stagecoach post, with stables located behind the Inn which are still standing today.

The surrounding settlement was developed to support squatters` runs established in the district between 1848 and 1850. Bredbo was officially proclaimed a village in 1888. 

Location

Address:Monaro Highway , Bredbo Centennial Park, Bredbo, 2626
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.952291
Long: 149.145719
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:October-1988
Front Inscription

This Plaque Was Unveiled By Councillor
           DON McDONALD 
     on the October long weekend
             1988
   To Commemorate The
    Centenary Of The
    BREDBO VILLAGE

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design