www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Bodalla Time CapsulePrint Page Print this page

07-March-2016
07-March-2016

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams

The time capsule commemorates the settlement of Bodalla and its people.

From 1856, Thomas Sutcliffe Mort had been acquiring land in the Moruya district, and eventually owned some 38,000 acres (150 km²), a very substantial holding. In 1860 he purchased Bodalla Station, where he planned to establish a country estate on which to retire, and demonstrate model land usage and rural settlement. He replaced the beef cattle station with an integrated and tenanted dairy estate. He cleared land, drained river swamps, erected fences, laid out farms, sowed imported grasses, and provided milking sheds, cheese, and butter-making equipment. He also provided two bluestone churches, one Anglican and the other Catholic, for his tenants.

 

Location

Address:42 Princes Highway, All Saint`s Anglican Church, Bodalla, 2545
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.084941
Long: 150.048426
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:November-2011
Front Inscription

BODALLA TIME CAPSULE

Placed here in November 2011, at the
conclusion of the sesqui-centenary

Celebrating the historical significance
of Bodalla and its people

To be opened in 2060 as part of our
bicentennial anniversary


 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design