www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Northampton Sesquicentenary Print Page Print this page

17-August-2015
17-August-2015

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams
The wall and arch commemorate the sesquicentenary of Northampton from 1864 to 2014.

Northampton was known as the "The Mines" until 1864, when the townsite was gazetted and became known as Northampton. Local Government commenced in 1871, its boundaries being described from the north by running a line running eastward from the mouth of the Murchison River, west by the Indian Ocean, south by a line running eastward from the mouth of the Buller river, with no eastern boundary.

Location

Address:Hampton Road & Essex Street, Northampton, 6535
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -28.348328
Long: 114.631608
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1864
Approx. Event End Date:2014
Designer:Kevin Chick (Northampton, WA)
Monument Manufacturer:Gary Dungate (Northampton, WA), Sonic Cut (Geraldton, WA)

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 19th February, 2014
Front Inscription
Northampton 150 Years
Left Side Inscription

1864

Plaque:

Northampton
1864 - 2014

This Commemorative Wall is in recognition of the Northampton townsites 150th Anniversary and was officially unveiled by 

Cr Gordon Wilson - Shire President
Mrs Mary Mitchell
Mrs Winnie Williams &  Mr Bob Cornell

19 February 2014

Right Side Inscription

2014

Plaque:

The design of the Commemorative Wall was developed from a concept design submitted by local resident Kevin Chick

Wall constructed by local Gary Dungate 
metal work undertaken by Sonic Cut - Geraldton

The Commemorative Wall depicts the development of  the Northampton townsite

Indigenous Persons - the original people of the land
Sailing Ship              - settlers arriving
Mine Poppet Head   - start of mining, start of town
Horse & Plough        - start of agriculture
Gwalla Church         - first significant building for the people
Railway worker        - first railway
family                       - where we are today 

The name bricks were purchased by individuals who wished to be part of this historic event

This wall is a project of the Northampton 150th Community Committee in association with the Northampton Shire Council

19 February 2014

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design