www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of the City of Perth Print Page Print this page

16-April-2014
16-April-2014

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders / Bryan Hardy
The plaque commemorates the 100th anniversary of the City of Perth. It was unveiled at the Town Hall by the Governor, Sir William Campion of the 12th August 1929.

On August 12 Perth celebrated the centenary of the foundation of the city by Captain Stirling, Lieutenant Governor. The Governor (Sir William Campion) unveiled a commemorative tablet on the wall of the Town Hall in Barrack Street, close to the spot where a tree was cut down 100 years ago to mark the foundation. The Governor announced that the King had conferred a Lord Mayoralty on the City of Perth. The first Lord Mayor is Mr J. T. Franklin, M.L.C., who has been Mayor since 1923. 
Weekly Times (Melbourne, Vic), 17 August 1929.

Location

Address:Barrack & Hay Streets, Perth Town Hall, Perth, 6000
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.954759
Long: 115.860301
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Actual Event Start Date:12-August-1829
Actual Event End Date:12-August-1929

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 12th August, 1929
Front Inscription

1829    1929

Centenary of the City

The City of Perth was founded on the 12th August, 1829 (The birthday pf King George IV) by the felling of a tree on the  allotment set apart for the military barracks, between the Town Hall and the Treasury Building.

J. T. Franklin, C.M.G., M.L.C., J.P.   Mayor

W. E. Bold, J.P.   Town Clerk

Councillors 
[ Names ]

1829    1929

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design