Lakewood TownsitePrint Page Print this page

Concrete memorial marks the site of Lakewood. The plaque is missing.

Lakewood is an abandoned goldfields townsite, located 10 km south east of Kalgoorlie. In 1903 the area was known as Lakeside, and the Secretary of the Progress Association wrote to the Government seeking the survey of lots for residential purposes. Lakeside was then at the terminus of the railway, and close to Hannan Lake, from the proximity to which the name was derived. Lots were surveyed here in 1903, but when considering a name for the townsite Lakeside was ruled out because it was duplicated in Queensland.

The Kalgoorlie Road Board suggested the name "Gnumballa" for the new townsite but when it was gazetted in 1904 it was spelt "Ngumballa" in line with spelling rules adopted by the Department of Lands and Surveys. The name is the Aboriginal name for Hannan Lake. In spite of the gazettal of the name Ngumballa, the railway station remained as Lakeside, as did local usage , and in 1909 the name was officially changed to Lakeside. By 1938 there was another Lakeside near Wiluna, and the school and post office at Lakeside were changed to Lakewood to avoid confusion, but still retaining the lake association in the name, and linking to the firewood company which by then was the only business in the area. For nine years the place was now officially known as Lakeside, but locally Lakewood, before the Government finally accepted this name and changed the townsite to Lakewood in 1947.



Address:Mount Monger Road, Lakewood, 6431
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.806997
Long: 121.535898
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design