www.monumentaustralia.org.au

German Pioneer FamiliesPrint Page Print this page

German Pioneers : April 2014
German Pioneers : April 2014

Photographs supplied by Nancy Alford
The plaque commemorates German pioneer families who settled in Freshwater Creek and are buried in the cemetery.

The first German Lutherans settled in the district around Grovedale (Germantown) in the early 1850s. By the late 1850s the settlement at Freshwater Creek was established. Initially services were held in the homes of members until the first church, a wattle and daub structure, was built in 1859. The first burial took place in 1860 when Louisa the 18 year old daughter of the Seiffert family died of pneumonia.

Location

Address:Anglesea Road, Lutheran Cemetery, Freshwater Creek, 3216
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.277257
Long: 144.270653
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 2nd November, 2008
Front Inscription

The rock with this plaque is in memory of the early German pioneer families who settled in the District of Freshwater Creek and are buried in this cemetery.

Some of their descendants still live in the area. 

This is one of the early Lutheran churchyard cemeteries in Victoria still in use. Circa 1859.

Dedicated by Pastor Rolf Lungwitz on 2nd November 2008

The Rotary Club of Grovedale
 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design