150th Anniversary of WarrnamboolPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

The plaque commemorates the 150th anniversary of the founding of Warrnambool. 

In 1836 Major Mitchell, the explorer, reported in Sydney after his expedition to western Victoria that it was 'ready for the immediate occupation by civilised man'. Following this the first settlers moved into the Warrnambool area. In the late 1830s the Bolden and Allan brothers occupied, respectively, the western and eastern sides of the Hopkins River near its mouth and they were followed by such pioneers as Thomas Manifold at Grasmere, Henry Foster and Thomas Strong on St Mary's, Mark Nicholson on Falls of Hopkins and others.

These early settlers agitated for a port to be established and Superintendent La Trobe of Melbourne, after visiting the area a number of times, allocated 250 acres of land for a town to be named Warrnambool. The meaning of the aboriginal name is not clear but it comes from Mt Warrnambool which is east of the present city. William Pickering surveyed the new town in 1846, and named the streets in the original 250-acre grid. The first land sales took place in Melbourne in July 1847 and today this event is regarded as the birth of our city.
Warrnambool & District Historial Society. 


Address:32 Kepler Street, Masonic Lodge, Warrnambool, 3280
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.383939
Long: 142.480631
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1847
Approx. Event End Date:1997


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 12th April, 1997
Front Inscription

This commemorative stone was laid by M. W. Bro. the Rev. Walter Henry Rolley Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge
of Antient, Free and Accepted Masons of Victoria, on Saturday 12th April 1997,

To mark the 150th year celebration of the founding of Warrnambool

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design