150th Anniversary of Hume & Hovell ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans / Sandra Brown

The memorial commemorates the 150th anniversary of the expedition by the explorers Hume and Hovell which set out from Gunning in 1824 for Port Phillip Bay in Victoria.

The Hume and Hovell expedition was one of the most important journeys of explorations undertaken in eastern Australia. In 1824 the Governor of New South Wales, Sir Thomas Brisbane, commissioned Hamilton Hume and former Royal Navy Captain William Hovell to lead an expedition to find new grazing land in the south of the colony, and also to find an answer to the mystery of where New South Wales's western rivers flowed.

On 17 October 1824, a fortnight after leaving Hume's home at Appin, the party left his station at Gunning, then the farthest out.  In the next sixteen weeks the party made many important discoveries including the Murray River, which the explorers for different reasons named the Hume, many of its tributaries, and the valuable agricultural and grazing lands between Gunning and Corio Bay in Victoria. It was a rich return for the distance travelled. They arrived back at Gunning on 18 January 1825.


Address:Yass & Adams Streets, Barbour Park, Gunning, 2581
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.780694
Long: 149.268778
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:17-October-1824
Actual Event End Date:17-October-1974


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 19th October, 1974
Front Inscription

Hume and Hovell Memorial

Improvements to this Reserve were carried out by the citizens of the Gunning Shire on 19th October, 1974, for the rest of  travellers in commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the Hume and Hovell Expedition

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design