The Artesian MemorialPrint Page Print this page

06-October-2021 (John Huth)
06-October-2021 (John Huth)

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson / Roger Johnson / Sandra Brown / John Huth

The monument commemorates the exploration work of the pioneers of the Great Artesian Basin.

The Back Creek Bore, 38 kilometres east of Barcaldine, which was drilled in 1886 in the search for water for the advancing Central Railway, was Queensland’s first artesian bore. Artesian pressure was low, however, and it soon required pumping. The Railway Department drilled the Town Bore a year later and free-flowing water promptly filled the waterholes of  Lagoon Creek.

The bore continued to be Barcaldine’s source of water for over a century. Hundreds of bores have subsequently exploited the  aquifers of the Great Artesian Basin.



Address:Oak Street (Capricorn Highway), Barcaldine, 4725
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -23.552222
Long: 145.288333
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 26th August, 1978
Front Inscription

The Artesian Memorial

Erected in commemoration of the explorative work undertaken by the pioneers of the Great Artesian Basin of Australia, and to the sinking of the first commercial artesian bore in Australia at Back Creek, 38km east of Barcaldine in 1886.

Barcaldine became the first town in Australia to use artesian water for reticulation from the town borehead completed in 1887.

This memorial was donated to the town of Barcaldine by the Artesian Festival Association from funds raised during the 1976 Artesian Festival and was officially unveiled by Mr. B. J. Green, President of the Artesian Festival Association on 26th August, 1978.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design