John Septimus Roe ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

The mural commemorates the 150th anniversary of the expedition by Surveyor-General John Septimus Roe in 1848 -1849 which visited the area. The mural depicts his journey and historic points of interest and is part of a Heritage Trail named after him. 

The first European known to have visited the Kondinin area was Captain John Septimus Roe Surveyor General of the Swan River Colony on his 1848–1849 expedition to examine the south coast. He encountered a group of Aborigines 55 kilometres (34 mi) east of Nalyaring (near Brookton) who guided the expedition party to several water sources before leaving the party at Yeerakine (just south-east of Kondinin) as this was the limit of their territory. The lake and well nearby came to be known as Kondinin, although the meaning is unknown. Kondinin was first settled in 1909 and surveyed in 1910 for selection for early pioneer farmers.


Address:Graham Street, Information Bay, Kondinin, 6367
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.495556
Long: 118.264444
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Art
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1848
Approx. Event End Date:1998


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1998
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design