Centenary of the 1874 Forrest ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

The plaque commemorates the centenary of the Forrest Expedition of 1874. It is mounted on a large River Gum, which has been partly carved away to accommodate the square silver coloured plaque and is the vicinity of Camp 18. 

In 1874 John Forrest led an expedition from Geraldton, travelling west to east through the arid western centre to the north-south telegraph line in South Australia. The Forrest Expedition, including John and Alexander Forrest, entered the Murchison District and Yuin Station on 9th April. The expeditionary party travelled north, north-east and left the district on the 2nd May at a point near what was to become Berringarra Station.


Address:Beringarra-Byro Road, South of Beringarra - Byro Road,1.5km west of Milly Milly Station in the river crossing, Murchison, 6630
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.123889
Long: 116.565278
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1874
Approx. Event End Date:1974
Designer:Geraldton Historical Society


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1974
Front Inscription

Forrest 1874
Camp 18
was in this vicinity.

Geraldton Historical Society 1974

Source: HWA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au