Naming of Circular HeadPrint Page Print this page

Bass + Flinders
Bass + Flinders

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

The cairn commemorates the naming of Circular Head by George Bass & Matthew Flinders in 1798.

Bass and Flinders were sure that a body of water separated Van Diemen`s Land (now called Tasmania) and the Australian mainland. In 1798 they sailed along the northern coast of Van Dieman`s Land. They rowed up the Tamar River to near where Launceston is today and later climbed to the top of Mount Wellington which overlooks Hobart. They proved that there was water between Australia and Van Diemen`s Land and it was named Bass Strait by Governor Hunter.


Address:Greenhills Road , King Park , Stanley, 7331
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -40.757845
Long: 145.29612
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:05-December-1798
Actual Event End Date:05-December-1798


Front Inscription

This Cairn Was Erected To Commemorate
The Naming Of Circular Head By
Lieutenant Matthew Flinders And
Dr. George Bass On December 5th 1798
When They Sailed Past In The Sloop
" Norfolk" During A Voyage Which Proved
The Existence Of Bass Strait.

Presented To The People Of Circular Head By
The Broken Hill Proprietary Co, Ltd.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design