French Memorial FountainPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland / John Huth

The fountain commemorates the bicentenary of French exploration in Tasmania. A plaque was added in 2004 to commemorate the re-commissioning of the fountain.

The sculpture itself is actually built out of Huon pine and it represents the bow and the sails of a French ship of that time. The plantings surrounding this sculpture consist of Tasmanian native plants.

Inspired by nature, it is a unique sculpture that captures the essence of water in the landscape and its overall importance to life, while also gently highlighting its functional use by humans in history. It is the only public Huon pine piece created by Mr Walker. The fountain was built into an earlier horticultural feature, an existing pond that surrounded rockwork and a water rill that was established in 1976. The rill was later removed in 2011. The bronze interpretation sign that was also designed by Stephen Walker names the fountain ‘Antipodean Voyage’, however over time it has come to be known as the French Memorial Fountain.

The sculpture was inaugurated by his Excellency the Ambassador for France in Australia, Monsieur Gabriel van Laetham on April 17th, 1972.


Address:Lower Domain Road, Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens, Hobart, 7000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.864157
Long: 147.331112
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Fountain
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1772
Approx. Event End Date:1972
Artist:Stephen Walker A. M. (Hobart, TAS)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 17th April, 1972
Front Inscription

                    1772  1972

To Commemorate The 200th Anniversary Of The Beginning Of French Exploration And Scientific Discovery In Tasmanian Waters.  This Fountain `Antipodean Voyage` Was Inaugurated By His Excellency, The French Ambassador To Australia, Monsieur G. Van Laethem On The 17th April 1972

Presented By The French Community In Australia, The Tasmanian Government, Hobart City Development Association, City Council And Tasmanian Friends Of France.

The Navigators And Their Ships

Marion Du Fresne         1772       Mascarin
Le Jar Duclesmeur                       Marquis de Castries
Bruni D`Entrecasteaux  1792-3    Recherche
Huon De Kermadec                      Esperance
Nicolas Baudin             1802-3     Geographe
Eugene Hamelin                           Naturaliste
Louis De Freycinet                       Casuarina 


Inscription in Proximity

This plaque commemorates 
the re-commissioning of the 
French Memorial Fountain Garden 

By The Ambassador Of France 
His Excellency Mr Patrick Henault
   30 November 2004

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design