European Discovery of Port DalrymplePrint Page Print this page

Bass + Flinders
Bass + Flinders

Photographs supplied by Kay Pamment

The plaque commemorates the European discovery of Port Dalrymple by the explorers George Bass and Matthew Flinders. In 1798, Bass and Flinders set off in the Norfolk to sail around Van Diemen`s Land. It stands on the foundation of the original front SRA reach leading light.

The Norfolk was the first boat to be built in the colony and was built by the prisoners on Norfolk Island. Bass and Flinders discovered and explored the Tamar River. They then spent another three weeks mapping the north coast of Tasmania before they sailed down the west coast.

They sailed down the Derwent River where Hobart now stands and then set sail for Sydney. They had proved that Van Diemen`s Land was an island by sailing right round it. Flinders named the strait, Bass Strait, after George Bass.


Address:399 Low Head Road, Low Head Pilot Station , Low Head , 7253
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.065175
Long: 146.794478
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 3rd November, 1985
Front Inscription

This Plaque Commemorates
The Discovery Of Port Dalrymple
    Bass & Flinders
   November 3, 1798.

It Was Unveiled By The Master Warden Of The Port Of Launceston Authority T.A. Barrenger, Esq, On November 3, 1985 And Stands On The Foundation Of The Original Front SRA Reach Leading Light.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design