John McDouall Stuart ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Mary Beaven

The plaque commemorates the starting point of John McDouall Stuart`s expedition of the south-north crossing of Australia in 1861.  The plaque is mounted on the original wall of the house of James Chambers from where the expedition started. The site is now occupied by "Carclew." 


Address:11 Jeffcott Street, Southern wall of Carclew House, North Adelaide, 5000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.912491
Long: 138.592757
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1861
Approx. Event End Date:1862


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 28th May, 1928
Front Inscription

"Carclew" Occupies The Site Of The Residence Of James Chambers Esq. Whence The McDouall Stuart Exploring Expedition Started On The 25th Of October 1861, On Their Successful Crossing Of The Continent Of Australia.The Members Had Lunch In The House And Mounted On Their Horses Filed Out Of The North - Western Gate. The Wall Now Surrounding The Property Existed At The Time.
Erected By The Adelaide City Council, 1928.


Inscription in Proximity

Plaque :


This prominent eclectic High-Victorian building,
originally called Stalheim, was built in 1901 by
Hugh Robert Dixson, a State MP. The house was
purchased by the Bonython family in 1908 which
renamed the house Carclew after a Cornish house
once owned by the family in Cornwall. Carclew
has been associated with the arts in South Australia
since the Bonython family sold the house in 1965.
A plaque on the wall commemorates the departure
in 1861 of Stuart`s expedition to cross the continent. 

Source: SAM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au