Captain Charles Sturt Print Page Print this page

Charles Sturt : 07-March-2011
Charles Sturt : 07-March-2011

Photographs supplied by Roger Johnson

The cairn commemorates Captain Charles Sturt who camped at the site during his exploration of the River Murray in 1830. A cairn was originally erected in Murray Bridge in 1930 to commemorate the centenary of Sturt's voyage.

Captain Charles Sturt and his crew rowed a whale boat down the river in 1830 to see where the westward flowing river went. They explored the large river which was named River Murray by Captain Sturt.  Where Sturt Reserve is now is where the party camped on the 8th of February 1830. The group was disappointed when they reached the mouth of the river as they saw it would be too difficult for ships to navigate because of the sandbars and the unpredictable Southern Ocean.

Rowing against the current, Sturt’s crew wearily returned. His report suggested the Murray Valley ideal for settlement.


Address:Sturt Street, Sturt Reserve, Murray Bridge, 5254
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.120509
Long: 139.283428
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Actual Event Start Date:08-February-1830
Actual Event End Date:08-February-1830


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1988
Front Inscription

Captain Charles Sturt 

Camped here 1830.

Erected 1988.


Source: MA,SAM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design