Centenary of Charles Sturt ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

The plaque commemorates the centenary of the 1844 Charles Sturt expedition to outback Australia.

This was Sturt`s fourth major expedition and began in August 1844, when he was almost 50 years of age. Sturt chose 16 men including James Poole, the second-in-command and set off together with 11 horses, 300 sheep, 32 bullocks, six dogs and an assortment of carts, wagons and a whaleboat.

The expedition followed the Murray to where it joined the Darling, then northwards along the Darling then to the Barrier Ranges near Broken Hill. Trapped for 6 months, by a severe drought they stayed at a permanent waterhole Rocky Glen on Preservation Creek where some of the men became sick with scurvy. Poole, the second-in-command`s later died.

Sturt and seven companions, set off to travel to the centre of the continent where they suffered terrible hardship. They reached a stony desert now known as Sturt`s Stony Desert and came to the Simpson Desert. They did not have enough water for their stock and were forced to turn back. Sturt now realised that there was no inland sea in the centre of Australia. They eventually limped back to Adelaide where people had given them up for dead. Sturt was claimed as a hero and given a gold medal.

A hundred years ago on Thursday, Captain Charles Sturt, surveyor and explorer, set out to prove that the interior of Australia contained a great inland sea. He found, instead, that it contained a desert. One of the expedition, second in-command James Poole, paid for the discovery with his life. During the journey Sturt crossed, unknowingly, one of the richest silver and lead deposits for its size in the world, at Broken Hill.  Tomorrow the Lieutenant-Governor (Sir Mellis Napier) will unveil a plaque on the facade of the Bank of Adelaide, at the corner of Currie and King William Streets, to the memory of the expedition, which left that spot on its long inland journey on August 10, 1844.
Border Watch (Mount Gambier, SA) 12 August 1944


Address:Currie & King William Street, Adelaide, 5000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.924497
Long: 138.599458
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:10-August-1844
Actual Event End Date:10-August-1944


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 13th August, 1944
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design