Hume & Hovell ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

Map of Journey : (State Library of Victoria : Maps 820.5 AT 1824 – 1825)
Map of Journey : (State Library of Victoria : Maps 820.5 AT 1824 – 1825)

The monument was originally unveiled at Bent's Lookout, Mount Buffalo on the 16th November 1924 and transferred to The Horn at a later date. 

In 1824, Hamilton Hume and William Hovell led an expedition of discovery to find new grazing land for the colony. They and their party trekked south from Appin to Lake George, then on into Victoria, keeping west of the Great Dividing Range and ending up at Corio Bay, on the Victorian coast, where present day Geelong is situated. Hovell mistakenly believed they had arrived at Westernport, and did not realise his mistake until after his return.

At the centenary of Hume and Hovell exploration in 1924 a committee was formed to co-ordinate and organise local celebrations along the route from Albury to Corio Bay. An itinerary was created for the unveiling ceremonies giving the hour and date for each place concerned from 15 to 21 November 1924.

Monuments, cairns or plaques commemorating this expedition were erected at Allan`s Flat, Avenel, Back Creek, Barjarg, Bellbridge, Broadford, Bulla, Deer Park, Ebden, Euroa, Everton, Hansonville, Hume Reservoir, Kilmore, Lara, Lima South, Meadow Creek, Molyullah, Mount Buffalo, Moyhu, Murmungee, Myrtleford, Samaria, Samaria West, Seymour, Staghorn Flat, St Albans, Stanley, Strath Creek, Swanpool, Tatong (Dodd`s Crossing), Violet Town, Warrenbayne West, Werribee, Whorouly, Woodfield Yarck and Yea.

The location of the plaques erected at Samaria West and Lima South are unknown.  It is believed that the plaque at Hansonville has come from another location as the date on the plaque does not match the date that the expedition was there.

MOUNT BUFFALO.— The Hume and Hovell memorial will be unveiled at Bent's Lookout, Mount Bulfalo, at 3 p.m. on Sunday next, and will later be transferred to the Horn, where a  magnificent view of the explorers' tract is obtainable. Many visitors are expected from the metropolis. The restrictions on the Buffalo-road have been removed for the day, and vehicles will be allowed through the lower gate up to 2; p.m. Mount Buffalo was sighted and named on 25th November, 1824, from the Ovens River, near where Whorouly is situated.
Age (Melbourne), 11 November 1924. 


Address:Mount Buffalo Road, Near the Horn Lookout, Mount Buffalo, 3958
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.776485
Long: 146.764745
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:25-November-1824
Actual Event End Date:25-November-1824


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 16th November, 1924
Front Inscription

Mount Buffalo

First sighted and named by Hume and Hovell

25th November 1824.

Erected by Bright District schools

25th November 1924.

Source: MED, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design