www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Hume & Hovell ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

Hume + Hovell
Hume + Hovell

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

The monument commemorates the Hume and Hovell expedition of 1824. 

In 1824, Hamilton Hume and William Hovell led an expedition of discovery to find new grazing land for the colony. They and their party trekked south from Appin to Lake George, then on into Victoria, keeping west of the Great Dividing Range and ending up at Corio Bay, on the Victorian coast, where present day Geelong is situated. Hovell mistakenly believed they had arrived at Westernport, and did not realise his mistake until after his return.

At the centenary of Hume and Hovell exploration in 1924 a committee was formed to co-ordinate and organise local celebrations along the route from Albury to Corio Bay. An itinerary was created for the unveiling ceremonies giving the hour and date for each place concerned from 15 to 21 November 1924.

Monuments, cairns or plaques commemorating this expedition were erected at Allan`s Flat, Avenel, Back Creek, Barjarg, Bellbridge, Broadford, Bulla, Deer Park, Ebden, Euroa, Everton, Hansonville, Hume Reservoir, Kilmore, Lara, Lima South, Meadow Creek, Molyullah, Mount Buffalo, Moyhu, Murmungee, Myrtleford, Samaria, Samaria West, Seymour, Staghorn Flat, St Albans, Stanley, Strath Creek, Swanpool, Tatong (Dodd`s Crossing), Violet Town, Warrenbayne West, Werribee, Whorouly, Woodfield Yarck and Yea.

The location of the plaques erected at Samaria West and Lima South are unknown.  It is believed that the plaque at Hansonville has come from another location as the date on the plaque does not match the date that the expedition was there.

North-Eastern Victoria is celebrating this week the centenary of the discovery of the Murray on November 16, 1824, by Hamilton Hume and Hilton Hovell. At Albury (N.S.W.) a festival week is being held, which has attracted many thousands of visitors. A party, headed by Sir James Barrett, of Melbourne, and including Mr. W. R. Hume, a descendant of Hamilton Hume, and his family, is assisting in the unveiling of about 40 memorial tablets along or near to the tracks blazed by Hume and Hovell. The first tablet was unveiled at Mt. Buffalo, discovered by the explorers on November 25, 1824. At Whorouly, in the Oxley Shire, a tablet was unveiled to mark the spot on which the explorers crossed the Ovens River. At Everton a roadside cairn was unveiled, and another at Murmungee, just below the Buckland Gap, between Everton and Beechworth. On the way into Albury, the party which is unveiling the memorials stopped to pay homage to the Hovell tree, which still stands as a living monument to the memory of the explorers. They arrived at that tree on November 17, 1824, and Hovell cut his name into the trunk.
Australasian (Melbourne), 22 November 1924.

Location

Address:Great Alpine Road & Kneebone Lane, Everton, 3678
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.453128
Long: 146.553985
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Actual Event Start Date:24-November-1824
Actual Event End Date:24-November-1824
Link:https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/stories/h…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 17th November, 1924
Front Inscription

Hume & Hovell 

Passed this way

24th November 1824

Erected November 1924

Source: MA,MED
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design