Matthew Flinders, William Bowen and John MurrayPrint Page Print this page

31-July-2016 (Sandra Brown)
31-July-2016 (Sandra Brown)

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders / Sandra Brown

The monument commemorates Matthew Flinders, William Bowen and John Murray who landed and explored Port Phillip Bay in 1802. 

The memorial was erected to Flinders in 1988 as an Australian Bicentenary Project. In 2002, an additional plaque was placed on the memorial on the 14th February 2002 commemorating William Bowen and John Murray as a project by the Dromana Historical Society to commemorate the bicentenary of the British discovery of Port Phillip. 



Address:359a Point Nepean Road, Old Flinders Shire Offices, Dromana, 3936
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.336286
Long: 144.957597
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Monument Manufacturer:Dromana Progress Association


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1988
Front Inscription

William Bowen
John Murray





Left Side Inscription

Plaque :

 Bicentennial Commemoration.  
The People Of The Kulin Lived In
The Port Phillip Area For Over 40,000 Years.

1st Mate Of HMS Lady Nelson
With Five Men In The Ship`s Launch
Entered The Bay 
31st January 1802

In Command Of HMS Lady Nelson
The First Known Ship To Enter The Bay
 14th February 1802.  

Murray Names Arthurs Seat After A Hill
Near His Native City Edinburgh.

Dromana and District Historical Society Inc 
2002 Project.

Dromana and District       Mornington Peninsula
Historical Society              Shire

14.02.02 - Bicentenary of the British discovery of Port Phillip

Right Side Inscription

Plaque :


  This Memorial Commemorates The
        Landing In The Area By 
     Captain Matthew Flinders R. N. 
                  27th April, 1802

Appointed Lieutenant in command of the 339 tonne sloop HMS Investigator he departed Spithead (England) on 18th July 1801 to explore and chart the Southern shores of Terra Australia and to show the British flag to forestall
                                 the French.
Arriving off the south-west cape of New Holland on the 6th December 1801 and charting the coastline eastward, Matthew Flinders entered Port Phillip Bay at the end of April, 1802. The Investigator anchored off Dromana from where he ascended
                                Arthurs Seat.
His journey ended at The Heads Port Jackson on 8th May 1802.

Project Funded Jointly By 
Australian Bi-Centennial Authority, 
Shire of Flinders & 
Local Community Groups

Source: MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design