George Bass ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Neil Follett

The memorial stone commemorates the visit by naval surgeon and explorer, George Bass, and his party of six who landed near Bass in January 1798. The reverse of the stone is a memorial to the pioneering Anderson brothers. 

Bass and his party were in search of fresh water after their voyage in an open whale boat which they rowed from Port Jackson in Sydney.


Address:Hade Avenue , George Bass Park, Bass, 3991
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.484654
Long: 145.466703
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:04-January-1798
Actual Event End Date:04-January-1798


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 29th September, 1974
Front Inscription

George Bass

Born 30th January 1771 in Lincolnshire.
Disappeared 1805.

This memorial commemorates the visit by Surgeon George Bass and his party of six who landed near this place on January 4th, 1798, in search of fresh water after a voyage in an open whale-boat from Port Jackson, Sydney.

Bass named the bay he had entered Western Port as the most westerly harbour he reached in the strait which was later to bear his name.

Unveiled on September 29th, 1974, by the Hon. H. R. Ward, M.L.C. on behalf of the South Eastern Historical Association and the Shire of Bass

Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design