Burke & Wills ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

10-July-2004 (Kent Watson)
10-July-2004 (Kent Watson)

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Ballarat City Council

The fountain commemorates those who perished in the Burke and Wills expedition of 1861.

In December 1861, the Eastern and Western Ballarat Councils met to discuss a memorial to the explorers. The architect Canute Andersen proposed a lavish clock tower worth £1000. By June 1862 they had only raised £79 and by the end of 1862 the fund stood at £370.

Sir Henry Barkly was invited to lay the foundation stone at the corner of Sturt and Lydiard Streets and then the councils ran into debt and the ugly bluestone foundation remained unfinished.

In March 1866, the Western Municipal Council decided to complete the monument. Another foundation stone was laid in June 1867 and the fountain was finished by the end of the year. The original inscriptions only included those who had died and no reference was made to King. His inscription was added after his death.


Address:Sturt & Lydiard Streets, Ballarat, 3350
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.561954
Long: 143.857515
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Fountain
Monument Theme:Landscape
Designer:Canute Andersen


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1867
Front Inscription

In memory of the explorers who perished while crossing the Australian continent in the year of 1861.

Left Side Inscription

John King

The only survivor of the expedition died at St Kilda

January 15th 1872.

Back Inscription

Erected by the inhabitants of Ballaarat

Right Side Inscription

Robert O`Hara Burke, Leader, died 30th June 1861

William John Wills, Second, died 30th June 1861

Ludwig Becker, Naturalist, died 29th April 1861

Charles Grey, Assistant, died 17th April 1861

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design