Edward & Fred OgilviePrint Page Print this page

The memorial was erected in 1984 by the West of the Range Historical Society, to mark the journey through the Hamilton's Gap by the Ogilvie Brothers, Edward and Fred in 1840.

In 1840, after the ex-convict Richard Craig had refused to let the Ogilvie Brothers join Dr John Dobie`s party which he was guiding to the Clarence, Edward pushed on with his brother Frederick and an Aboriginal and reached the Clarence at Tabulum ahead of Craig. Downstream Edward took up fifty-six miles (90 km) on both sides of the river and later named the runs Yulgilbar. On his return to Merton in the Upper Hunter to collect their flocks he found an easier route by Tenterfield. The two brothers and a `new chum` C. G. Tindal settled at Yulgilbar. The Aboriginals were hostile but Edward became fluent in the local dialect and at a parley explained that he only wanted the grass and gave them complete hunting rights on his run.


Address:Ogilivie Drive, Hamilton`s Gap, 7 kilometres from Tabulum, Tabulam, 2469
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -28.930152
Long: 152.526431
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1984
Source: MA,ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design