Colonel William Paterson ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

The seat was erected in 1976 by the Raymond Terrace & District Historical Society and Port Stephens Shire Council to commemorate the landing of Colonel William Paterson at this site on the 29th June 1801.

Colonel William Paterson, FRS (17 August 1755 – 21 June 1810) was a Scottish soldier, explorer, Lieutenant governor and botanist best known for leading early settlement in Tasmania. He led an expedition to the Hunter Valley in 1801 and up the Paterson River (later named in his honour by Governor King) and in 1804 led an expedition to Port Dalrymple, in what is now Tasmania, exploring the Tamar River and going up the North Esk River farther than anyone previously had managed to do.

Paterson was appointed Governor of New South Wales on 1 January 1809 after the deposition of Governor Captain William Bligh in the so-called "Rum Rebellion", but was replaced by the newly arrived Lachlan Macquarie by the end of the year because of failing health. He left Sydney for England on 12 May 1810, but died on board HMS Dromedary while off Cape Horn just a few weeks later.



Address:Hunter Street, Riverside Park, Raymond Terrace, 2324
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.761389
Long: 151.739167
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Seat
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:29-June-1801
Actual Event End Date:29-June-1801


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1976
Source: H, MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design