Crossing of Narrabeen Lakes by Governor Arthur PhillipPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Relph

The monument commemorates the crossing of Narrabeen Lakes by Governor Arthur Phillip in August 1788.

A stone monument to commemorate the first crossing of the Narrabeen Lakes by Governor Phillip on August 22, 1788, has been erected in the grounds of the Narrabeen School by Mr James Booth, of Pittwater, and given by him to the Manly, Warringah and Pittwater Historical Society The unveiling ceremony was performed on Saturday by Mr W L Ross headmaster of the school and a vice-president of the society.  

Mr A G Priddle, chairman of the Narrabeen Parents and Citizens' Association presided at the outset, being followed by Captain M J Lowe, president of the Historical Society. Among the speakers were Councillor Shepherd, president of the Warringah Shire Council and Mr P W Gledhill, secretary of the society. Lieutenant-Commander Salter, RN, formerly of H.M.A.S. Sydney broke a flag which is a replica of the Union flag flown by Governor Phillip on the shores of Sydney Cove in 1788.
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 19 September 1932.  


Address:Pittwater Road, Narrabeen Lakes Public School, Narrabeen, 2101
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.720758
Long: 151.298034
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:22-August-1788
Actual Event End Date:22-August-1788


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 17th September, 1932
Front Inscription
Erected By The 
Manly. W. And P. 
Historical Society
17th September 1922
To Commemorate
The Crossing
Of Narrabeen Lakes 
By Governor Phillip
22 August 1788 
Source: H, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au