Mount York ObeliskPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Dave Rave

The Mount York Obelisk was erected by public subscription to commemorate the crossing of the Blue Mountains by Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth in 1813. 

It was suggested that the obelisk should commemorate not only Blaxand, Lawson and Wentworth but also those others who had assisted in pioneering the route over the Mountains, including Evans, Cox and Macquarie. It stands towards the extremity of the mountain spur, just before the cliff line. The base of the obelisk has inscriptions on all four sides. These commemorate the Explorers, Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth; the Surveyor, Evans; the Road-builder, Cox; and the Governor, Macquarie. The Macquarie inscription was added during the centenary celebrations in 1913. The names of the Reserve Trustees at the time: Berghofer, Howell and Rienits, are also recorded on the monument. The obelisk was completed in 1900.

Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth reached the area of Mount York on 28 May 1813, and camped at 'the edge of the precipice.' On 29 May 1813 they descended from the mountain 'through a pass in the rocks'. When building the first road over the Mountains, the construction of a descent from this ridge took William Cox and his road party five weeks between 7 November and 14 December 1814. Mount York was officially named by Governor Macquarie in honour of the Duke of York (1763-1827), the second son of George III and commander-in-chief of the British Army from 1795 to 1827. The naming of this mountain by Governor Macquarie gave it prominent regal and vice-regal connections.

The board of control of the crossing of the mountains centenary celebrations has decided to place the following inscription on the blank panel on the existing obelisk at Mount York:-— . "In commemoration of the life and work of Major-General Lachlan Macquarie, Governor of New South Wales, 1810-1821, through whose enterprise the first road across these mountains was constructed a century ago."
Australian Town and Country Journal (Sydney), 9 April 1913.




Address:Mount York Road, Mount York Lookout, Mount Victoria, 2786
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.552712
Long: 150.219537
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1900
Front Inscription

      In Commemoration Of
The First Crossing Of The Blue Mountains
      In 1813, A.D. By 
This Obelisk Was Erected By Public Subscription
           In 1900. A.D. 
                              W. J. Berghofer  Trustees
                                     L. H. Howell
                                     H. C Rienits  


Left Side Inscription

The First Road Over The Blue Mountains
Laid Out By Surveyor Evans,
Who Followed The Explorers Track
         Was Opened By
Governor Macquarie, In 1815. A. D. 
The Descent Begins 
100 Yards N.E. Of This Memorial

Back Inscription

In Commemoration
The Life & Work Of 

Governor Of New South Wales
     1810  1821
Through Whose Enterprise
The First Road Across These Mountains
Was Constructed

Right Side Inscription

The First Road Over The Blue Mountains. 
From Emuford To Bathurst, 101½ Miles Was Formed In Six Months, By A Working Party Of 28 Men,
And Was Completed In January 1815.

The Commission To Execute The Work Was Entrusted By Gov. Macquarie

William Cox Esq. J. P. Lieut. 102nd Reg,
Of Clarendon, Windsor.
 Died 15 - 3 - 1837

Source: H, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design