Bicentenary of Captain Cook`s ExplorationPrint Page Print this page

Captain Cook Monument : June 2014
Captain Cook Monument : June 2014

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams

The memorial commemorates the 200th anniversary of Captain James Cook's exploration, charting and claiming of the east coast of Australia for the British Empire in 1770. 

It also commemorates the official opening of the Access Road to North Brother Mountain. Captain Cook named "the Brothers" on 12 May 1770 for their resemblance to mountains in his native Yorkshire.

The Bicentenary of James Cook in Australia was commemorated in Autralia in 1970. The British explorer Lieutenant (later Captain) James Cook charted the east coast of Australia in 1770, and claimed the eastern seaboard of the continent for the British Crown. It was not considered the official bicentenary of Australia, but rather the bicentenary of the first mapping of the eastern coastline

Captain James Cook claimed the whole of the east coast of Australia for Great Britain on 22 August 1770, naming eastern Australia, 'New South Wales.'


Address:Captain Cook Bicentenary Road, North Brother Mountain, Laurieton, 2443
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.657676
Long: 152.777807
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 29th April, 1970
Front Inscription


To Commemorate The 200th Anniversary
Of The Discovery Of The East Coast Of 
Australia By Captain James Cook R.N.
And The Official Opening Of The Access
Road To North Brother Mountain, Which
Was Named By Captain Cook On His Voyage
Of Discovery. This Plaque Was Unveiled
 By W. D. Muir Esq., Dip. For. 
Commissioner For Forests, N.S.W.
      On 29th April, 1970

J. R. Andrews  President
T. S. Gilbert     Shire Clerk


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design