Major Thomas Mitchell ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The plaque commemorates Major Thomas Mitchell who with his expedition crossed the Murray River here in October 1836.

22. The Historic Crossing Place.  Situated downstream from the main Howlong Murray River Bridge. To the right of Rutherglen Road on the Victorian side, is a pleasant roadside stopping place. This stop is significant because on the night of 17 October 1836, Major Mitchell and his party camped here prior to crossing the River on his return to Sydney from his historic exploration of Western Victoria. In 1838 Mr Joseph Hawdon crossed here establishing the first overland mail service between Port Phillip and Sydney. Later in 1838 Charles Sturt set out to prove the Hume River and the Murray River were the same river
Howlong Historic Trail.

As at 17-February-2014 the plaque no longer exists on the stone.


Address:River Road, Howlong, 2643
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.994632
Long: 146.620038
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:17-October-1836
Actual Event End Date:18-October-1836


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1988
Front Inscription

1788 -1988

Major Mitchell and his party camped here on
17th October 1836. They crossed the
Murray River the following day, downstream
from this point.
Major Thomas Mitchell's expedition into the
'Australia Felix' is commemorated by the
Major Mitchell Trail, an Australian
Bicentennial Project with financial
assistance from the Commonwealth
and Victorian Governments.  

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design