George Evans ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

The cairn, unveiled in 1978 on private property, marks the site where George Evans accompanied by George Kane (alias Thos. Appledore), James Butler, Patrick Byrne and John Tighe sighted the Lachlan River and named the surrounding district, Oxley`s Plains in 1815. 

The land for the memorial was provided by the late former Mayor of Cowra, Barbara Bennett. 

With a party of four men, two packhorses and provisions for six weeks, Evans set out from Bathurst on May 13 1815, heading south until rough country encouraged his to turn west. On May 26 he descended into the Valley of Sheet-O-Bark Creek, followed it downstream east of Matheson Trig, where he crossed and ascended the elevation (just off the Canowindra Road 10 kilometres from Cowra).

From the summit Evans saw the Lachlan Valley for the first time and recorded it in his diary on May 27 1815. Evans named the river the Lachlan in honour of the Christian name of Governor Macquarie. 


Address:North Logan & Phillips Crossing Roads, 13 kilometres from Cowra, Cowra, 2794
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.762248
Long: 148.606864
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:27-May-1815
Actual Event End Date:27-May-1815
Monument Manufacturer:Cowra and District Historical Society


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1978
Front Inscription

Near this spot George William Evans Deputy Surveyor of Lands accompanied by George Kane (alias Thos Appledore), James Butler, Patrick Byrne and John Tighe discovered the Lachlan River on 27 May 1815, naming the surrounding district "Oxley`s Plains"

Source: H, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design