Bicentenary of Captain Cook`s ExplorationPrint Page Print this page

The monument was erected by the Byron Shire Council to commemorate the bicentenary of Captain James Cook's exploration, charting and claiming of the east coast of Australia for the British Empire in 1770. 

Captain James Cook sailed northward along this coastline in HMS Endeavour.  Byron Bay was named by Captain James Cook as he sailed up the coast in 1770. Captain Cook named Cape Byron after Vice-Admiral John Byron who was the grandfather of the famous 19th century poet, Lord Byron.

Captain James Cook claimed the whole of the east coast of Australia for Great Britain on 22 August 1770, naming eastern Australia, 'New South Wales.'


Address:Lighthouse Road, Cape Byron Headland Reserve Car Park, Byron Bay, 2481
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -28.642037
Long: 153.625939
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:15-May-1770
Actual Event End Date:15-May-1770


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1970
Source: H
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design