Allan Cunningham Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The obelisk commemorates explorer Allan Cunningham who crossed the Manilla River on the 17th May 1827 close to the site, and originally called it Buddle`s River. 

Cunningham's longest, and perhaps most important, journey lasted from 20 January to late August 1827: from the Hunter valley he travelled northward crossing the Peel and Dumaresq Rivers and entered the Darling Downs before returning to the Hunter valley and Bathurst. While in the Darling Downs he found a gap in the ranges, now called Spicers Gap, which he thought would give access from Moreton Bay to the downs, whose fine grazing country he regarded as of major importance. 


Address:Trevallyn Road, 5 kilometres west of Barraba, Barraba, 2347
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.375026
Long: 150.547103
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Actual Event Start Date:17-May-1827
Actual Event End Date:17-May-1827
Monument Manufacturer:Nandewar Historical Society


Front Inscription

Erected by the Nandewar Historical Society

To mark the journey made by explorer Alan Cunningham

Close to this spot he crossed the Manilla River calling it Buddle`s River on 17th May 1827.

Unveiled by Miss E. E. C. Capel

Source: MA,H, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design