Hume & Hovell ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Melissa McPhee, Upper Plenty Primary School

The plaque commemorates the Hume and Hovell expedition which named Mount Disappointment in 1824.  It is believed that this plaque was attached to the 6 metre cairn which was built at Mount Disappointment in 1924

In 1824, Hamilton Hume and William Hovell led an expedition of discovery to find new grazing land for the colony. They and their party trekked south from Appin to Lake George, then on into Victoria, keeping west of the Great Dividing Range and ending up at Corio Bay, on the Victorian coast, where present day Geelong is situated. Hovell mistakenly believed they had arrived at Westernport, and did not realise his mistake until after his return.

At the centenary of Hume and Hovell exploration in 1924 a committee was formed to co-ordinate and organise local celebrations along the route from Albury to Corio Bay. An itinerary was created for the unveiling ceremonies giving the hour and date for each place concerned from 15 to 21 November 1924.

Monuments, cairns or plaques commemorating this expedition were erected at Allan`s Flat, Avenel, Back Creek, Barjarg, Bellbridge, Broadford, Bulla, Deer Park, Ebden, Euroa, Everton, Hansonville, Hume Reservoir, Kilmore, Lara, Lima South, Meadow Creek, Molyullah, Mount Buffalo, Moyhu, Murmungee, Myrtleford, Samaria, Samaria West, Seymour, Staghorn Flat, St Albans, Stanley, Strath Creek, Swanpool, Tatong (Dodd`s Crossing), Violet Town, Warrenbayne West, Werribee, Whorouly, Woodfield Yarck and Yea.

The location of the plaques erected at Samaria West and Lima South are unknown.  It is believed that the plaque at Hansonville has come from another location as the date on the plaque does not match the date that the expedition was there.


Address:10 Clarkes Road, Upper Plenty Primary School , Upper Plenty, 3756
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.423541
Long: 145.057639
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:07-December-1824
Actual Event End Date:07-December-1824


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 7th December, 1924
Front Inscription

To commemorate Hume, Hovell & party, who ascended & named Mount Dissappointment on December 7th, 1824

Erected by the residents of the District Dec. 7th. 1924


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design