www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Captain Charles Sturt Central Australian Exploring ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

30-December-2020
30-December-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren
The plaque commemorates Captain Charles Sturt who passed through the area on his Central Australian Exploring Expedition of 1844 and 1845. The plaque was unveiled in 1944 to mark the centenary of the expedition. 

Plaques in City And Country To Be Unveiled.
Two plaques-one on the Bank of Adelaide for Captain Charles Sturt and one on the A.M.P. Building in King William street to John Charles Darke - will be unveiled at 3 p.m. and 3.30 p.m. respectively on Sunday, August 13. The Lieutenart-Governor (Sir Mellis Napier) will unveil them, and it is expected that the Premier (Mr. Playford) and the Lord Mayor (Mr. Walker) will be present. Plaques will also be erected at many towns along the route taken by Sturt's expedition. These have been completed in most cases, and have been sent to the towns by the Historical Memorials Committee for unveiling. At Light Pass a second plaque will be unveiled in honor of Colonel Light. 
News (Adelaide), 22 July 1944.


On August 10, 1844, Sturt's carefully selected and well-equipped expedition set out from Adelaide to explore hitherto the unknown interior of Australia. This year places along the route from Adelaide to beyond the Queensland border are planning to commemorate the centenary of that great expedition, and to honor the memory of the first white men to pass their district. From the Royal Geographical Society (S.A. branch) information has been received about arrangements being made in the various centres.

On August 13, the Lieutenant Governor of South Australia will unveil a plaque to Sturt at the corner of Currie and King William Streets, the actual spot from which the expedition set out. The president of the Royal Geographical Society (Mr. Hambidge), accompanied by Mrs. Hambidge and a number of fellow members, will leave Adelaide on a pilgrimage to participate in the unveiling ceremonies between Gawler and Renmark. The places visited will be: Gawler, Daveyston, Light Pass, Nuriootpa, Truro, Angaston, Koonunga, Morgan, Barmera, Renmark.

Unfortunately petrol could not be obtained to enable the pilgrimage to continue beyond Renmark, and places to the north are holding ceremonies at varying times. Wentworth is making arrangements to fence in the Sturt trees at the junction of the Murray and Darling Rivers. Broken Hill has arranged activities extending over several days, and will have as permanent records a bronze head of Sturt in the Art Gallery, a memorial sundial and a Sturt Park. Innamincka has prepared a bronze plaque to ba placed on a memorial cairn within the grounds of the Australian Inland Mission. It is anticipated that Birdsville will unveil a plaque to Sturt at the time of its race carnival. 
Barrier Miner (Broken Hill, NSW), 11 August 1944.

 
 

Location

Address:Light Pass & Kalimna Roads, On Pioneer Memorial, Light Pass, 5355
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.465361
Long: 139.025919
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1944
Front Inscription

Captain Charles Sturt

Central Australian Exploring Expedition.

The dray party passed through this District 
14 - 17 August 1844.

The principal discoveries were Barrier and Grey Ranges, Cooper and Eyre Creeks.

Erected 1944

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design