Bicentenary of the British Discovery of Port PhillipPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
The plaque commemorates the visit of the replica vessel Lady Nelson, which visited Rye Pier, in commemoration of the bicentenary of the British discovery of Port Phillip. 

On 4 January 1802 LIeutenant John Murray sighted Port Phillip but found the entrance dangerous and decided to survey it later. He charted the east coast of King Island, then returned to Port Phillip on 31 January and sent John Bowen into the bay in a launch to examine it. Murray entered Port Phillip in the Lady Nelson on 14 February and anchored inside. He named various landmarks: Arthur's Seat, Swan Island, Point Paterson and Point Palmer. On 8 March he took possession of Port Phillip, which he named Port King and which King renamed later.
Excerpt from John Murray, Australian Dictionary of Biography. 


Address:Point Nepean Road (opposite Napier Street), Rye Pier, Rye, 3941
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.369104
Long: 144.822305
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:14-February-1802
Actual Event End Date:14-February-2002


Front Inscription

The replica of His Majesty`s armed surveying vessel
            LADY NELSON
visited Rye Pier from 15 - 21 February 2002 
 in commemoration of the bicentenary of the 
     British discovery of Port Phillip 

     on 14th February 1802

     Rye Historical Society 
Mornington Peninisula Shire  


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design