300th Anniversary of the European Discovery of TasmaniaPrint Page Print this page

29-April-2016 (Arthur Garland)
29-April-2016 (Arthur Garland)

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland / Peter F Williams

The plaque commemorates the 300th anniversary of the European discovery of Tasmania by Abel Tasman in 1642. The tablet was unveiled in 1942 during the 104th anniversary of the Royal Hobart Regatta.

On 24 November 1642 Abel Tasman sighted the west coast of Tasmania, north of Macquarie Harbour. He named his discovery Van Diemen's Land after Antonio van Diemen, Governor-General of the Dutch East Indies. Proceeding south he skirted the southern end of Tasmania and turned north-east, Tasman then tried to work his two ships into Adventure Bay on the east coast of South Bruny Island where he was blown out to sea by a storm, this area he named Storm Bay.

Two days later Tasman anchored to the North of Cape Frederick Hendrick just North of the Forestier Peninsula. Tasman then landed in Blackman Bay – in the larger Marion Bay. The next day, an attempt was made to land in North Bay; however, because the sea was too rough the carpenter swam through the surf and planted the Dutch flag in North Bay. Tasman then claimed formal possession of the land on 3 December 1642.


Address:McVilly Drive, John Colvin Memorial Grandstand, Queens Domain, Hobart, 7000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.877131
Long: 147.337972
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:24-November-1642
Actual Event End Date:24-November-1642


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 5th December, 1942
Front Inscription

This Tablet Commemorates
300th Anniversary Of
The Discovery Of Tasmania
 By Abel Jans Tasman
 In The Year 1642
Unveiled On The Occasion
Of The 104th Anniversary
Of The Royal Hobart Regatta
    In The Year 1942.


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design