www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Hume & Hovell ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

16-January-2016 (Chris McLaughlin)
16-January-2016 (Chris McLaughlin)

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin / Sandra Brown

The monument at the foot of Mount Fraser (formerly Mount Bland) commemorates the centenary of the Hume and Hovell Expedition of 1824.

The explorers, Hamilton Hume and William Hovell, first climbed Mount Fraser on 14 December 1824, and saw Port Phillip Bay. It was called Mount Bland and Big Hill in the past.

At the centenary of Hume and Hovell exploration in 1924 a committee was formed to co-ordinate and organise local celebrations along the route from Albury to Corio Bay. An itinerary was created for for the unveiling ceremonies giving the hour and date for each place concerned from 15 to 21 November 1924.

Monuments, cairns or plaques commemorating this expedition were erected at Allan`s Flat, Avenel, Back Creek, Barjarg, Bellbridge, Broadford, Bulla, Deer Park, Ebden, Euroa, Everton, Hansonville, Hume Reservoir, Kilmore, Lara, Lima South, Meadow Creek, Molyullah, Mount Buffalo, Moyhu, Murmungee, Myrtleford, Samaria, Samaria West, Seymour, Staghorn Flat, St Albans, Stanley, Strath Creek, Swanpool, Tatong (Dodd`s Crossing), Violet Town, Warrenbayne West, Werribee, Whorouly, Woodfield Yarck and Yea.

The location of the plaques erected at Samaria West and Lima South are unknown.  It is believed that the plaque at Hansonville has come from another location as the date on the plaque does not match the date that the expedition was there.

Please note : This monument is on private property, and you will need the owner`s permission to visit the monument.

Four more tablets in commemoration of the overland journey to the explorers Hume and Hovell from Sydney: to Corio Bay in November, 1824, were unveiled on Saturday, on a tower at Kilmore, on an obelisk at Broadford, on a cairn at the foot of Mount Bland, and his Excellency the Governor (the Earl of Stradbroke) performed the unveiling ceremony at Kilmore.  The tablet on the granite cairn at the foot of Mount Bland bears the following inscription: -"Hume and Hovell Centenary, 1824 -1924. From the top of this mount the explorers first sighted their objective, December 14, 1824."
Excerpt from Albury Banner and Wodonga Express (NSW),
19 December 1924.

Location

Address:Old Hume Highway , Deloraine Station, foot of Mount Fraser, Beveridge, 3753
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.459629
Long: 144.973564
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Link:https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/stories/h…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 13th December, 1924
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design